History of the society
Recorded Music Society was founded in 1950 as ‘The Southampton and
District Gramophone Society’ with the object of encouraging a greater
enjoyment of classical music.
many years the Society met in the Dean’s Suite at Southampton General
Hospital. From 1999, meetings were held at the Portswood Conservative Club
in Highfield Lane, but when this site was earmarked for development in
2004 we had to seek alternative accommodation. Our current home is the St
Denys Church Centre in Dundee Road.
the early days, the equipment required to enjoy recorded music at home was
beyond the means of many people. The formation of the Society therefore
gave the population of Southampton a greater chance of hearing music which
would otherwise only have been available by attending live concerts or
listening to radio broadcasts.
access to recorded music is no longer an issue, but, as technology
continues to improve, the best equipment still remains too expensive for
most people (at new prices, our CD replay system cost over £7000).
However, we are not interested in hi-fi for its own sake. The prime
purpose of the society remains to provide an opportunity for enthusiasts
to get together and share their passion for classical music.
Click here to read an obituary of
Professor David Brown, who died in June 2014. Before his retirement, David
was Professor of Musicology at Southampton University. He was also our
President for about 36 years.